First consultation is free with no obligation.
Call: 603-841-3080

Do New Hampshire drivers have to have automobile insurance?

As we pointed out previously, there are more vehicles on New Hampshire roads than ever before. Even if at a reduced rate, car accidents will always be something that residents must keep in the backs of their minds as a possibility. For victims, seeking compensation from those responsible is something to which they are entitled. When factors fall in the victim's favor legally, compensation may be required on the part of an at-fault driver.

What isn't required in New Hampshire is automobile insurance. In other words, our state has no mandatory insurance law. That isn't to say the Department of Motor Vehicles doesn't strongly suggest every car or truck owner carry liability and property damage insurance. Under some circumstances, however, proof of insurance is necessary. This is done by filing an owners SR-22 Certificate of Insurance. Proof of financial responsibility in New Hampshire means an owner must be able to show he or she is able to pay for any damages incurred as a result of accidents for which liability is assessed to that vehicle owner. The amount required is $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person or $50,000 for injury or death to two or more persons in one accident. For damages to property in an accident, $25,000 must be available.

A Driver Record Report shows whether or not someone is required to file proof of insurance. Filing the SR-22 form might be mandated for, among other reasons, anyone whose license is being reinstated after suspension for habitual driving offenses. Drivers convicted of driving while intoxicated must file proof of insurance for at least three years or longer after a conviction. Demerit points assessed or at-fault findings for uninsured motorist accidents may compel proof.

Certain convictions will automatically require proof of insurance be filed. They include leaving the scene of an accident, any number of DWI convictions, underage DWI and conduct after an accident.

Records can be reviewed on request to determine if the filing period has been met or must be extended. Those eligible to have the proof of filing relief are notified by formal notice from the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Source: New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles, "Financial Responsibility" accessed Mar. 19, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Take Control Of Your Legal Issues. Call 603-841-3080

Email Us For A Response

Start Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

First consultation is free with no obligation.

Map image Map image

21 South Main Street
Rochester, NH 03867

Phone: 603-841-3080
Fax: 603-330-3476
Rochester Law Office Map

16 Academy Street
Laconia, NH 03246

Phone: 603-841-3080
Map & Directions