Stephen C. Brown
Mr. Brown was raised in Maynard, Massachusetts and attended Northeastern University where he played football. He also attended the University of Montana in Missoula, Montana where he captained the University of Montana Rugby Team. After graduating from the University of Montana, he attended law school at California Western School of Law in San Diego, distinguishing himself in trial work courses.
He began his career with the North Carolina Public Defenders Office, working out of Gastonia, North Carolina representing persons charged with anything from juvenile offenses to death penalty murders.
Following his service with the Public Defenders' Office, he relocated to his native New England, becoming employed with the Rockingham County Attorney's Office where he tried many jury trials involving felonies, DWI and other misdemeanor offenses.
After leaving that position, he was employed with a local law firm for about one year before opening his own office in 1991, originally in Somersworth and then relocating to his present location in Rochester, where he has been actively practicing since 1994. Since then, he has added 2 other associates to assist with the continuing growth of his practice centered on making a difference in his client's lives.
Mr. Brown concentrates his practice in the areas of criminal defense, statewide including all felonies and misdemeanors in addition to DWI defense, automobile and motorcycle accidents and injuries, slip and falls, workers' compensation, social security disability law and general civil defense.
He has served on numerous professional boards as well as those at the local and community level. He has also conducted Continuing Education programs for other lawyers.
Mr. Brown enjoys white water and ocean surf kayaking; flatwater kayaking; mountain biking; alpine, cross country and AT skiing; hiking; reading and writing during his limited spare time, as well as spending as much time as he is able to find with his three adult children.
Admitted to the Bars of New Hampshire and North Carolina, as well as U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
Areas of Practice
- 23% Criminal
- 15% DUI/DWI
- 42% Personal Injury
- 10% Social Security
- 10% Workers' Compensation
- New Hampshire, 1987
- North Carolina, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of New Hampshire, 1994
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. - 1982
- University of Montana, Missoula, Montana
- B.A. - 1978
- Applying The Rules of Evidence, National Business Institute, 2012
- Premises Liability, NH Bar Association, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Member, 1987 - Present
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- New Hampshire Association of Justice, Member
- American Association of Justice, Member
- NH Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Rockingham County Attorneys Office, Assistant County Attorney, 1987 - 1991
- North Carolina Court System, Assistant Public Defender, 1984 - 1987